West End/ Narborough Road
Postcode area: LE3
The West End of Leicester is a buzzing multicultural area with plenty to see and do.
It is only a short walk from DMU through Castle Gardens, the original site of Leicester Castle. There is a library on Narborough Road which has a cosy feel, perfect for avoiding the University library crush.
You can buy pretty much anything in the West End, from house-hold electronics, clothes, even exotic vegetables and spices that are definitely not available in Tescos.
If you’re looking for a friendly place to get your dissertation bound you can visit Jak’s Stationers, all while you wait.
At the base of the West End is Braunstone Gate, a lively street leading up to the De Montfort’s QEII Leisure Centre. Braunstone Gate houses some brilliant restaurants (such as Little Tokyo)and bars (Natterjacks) and leads you to Narborough Road.
Narborough Road has been officially named as the most multicultural street in England (by the London School of Economics and Political Science) Here you will find Turksh cafes, Polish supermarkets, American diners, Indian resturants and so many more.
- Purely vegetarian Indian menu also available on Deliveroo
International food centre (supermarket)
- Fresh halal meat and bakery with delicacies from all over the world
- This American diner is modelled on the 50s teenage dream
- Leicester isn’t short on desert places but this place has everything
- Delicious steak house just off Narborough Road
- Mediterainean and Turkish cuisine and meze bar
- Affordable student drinks with an arty atmosphere
Just to name a few
Narborough Road and the West End has brilliant transport links with regular bus routes to Fosse Park as well as connections to the city centre.
Just off Braunstone Gate is the Tesco superstore, perfect for that big shop.
This area provides a cosmopolitan, lively place to live that gives you all you need and still be close to DMU.